Frequently Asked Questions

From 6.034 Wiki

Revision as of 19:43, 30 December 2011 by Akenney (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Should I take the subject this semester?

The following are the major differences between the fall and spring versions:

• Professor Patrick H. Winston is in charge in the fall.
  • In recent years, the most conspicuous feature of the fall version is that it focuses toward the end of the semester on models of aspects of human intelligence.

See the Underground Guide for further guidance.

Should I buy a book?

No. All the reading material you need will be online at zero cost. See the references page.

Am I expected to attend lectures, tutorials, the megarecitation, and the ordinary recitations?

Yes. We believe that the lectures, tutorials, and recitations are all an important part of the MIT experience, and we work hard to make them interesting and useful.

Element Purpose
Lectures To introduce most of the material and provide the big picture. We often include questions on the quizzes and final that you can answer only by faithful lecture attendance.
Mega recitation To demonstrate how to work problems of the kind that tend to show up on the quizzes.
Regular recitations To introduce some of the material, answer questions, provide additional perspective, and be a venue small enough for discussion.
Tutorials To review lecture material, work through practice problems, get help with the homework, and have additional opportunities to ask questions and engage in discussion in an even smaller venue.

What can I bring to the quizzes and the final?

You are allowed to bring any printed material you want (books, notes, problem sets and solutions, previous quizzes, etc).

You are allowed to bring tools such as calculators, clocks, rulers, slide rules, telescopes, etc.

You are NOT allowed to bring cell phones, computers, iPads, etc (even if you turn off the wireless).

I missed recitation, can I get my quiz grade?

Quizzes are handed back in recitation the week of the quiz, and quizzes not picked up in recitation are handed back in tutorial the following week. After that, you can pick up all graded quizzes in Patrick Winston's office, 32-251. Except under special circumstances (such as right before drop date), we will not give out quiz grades over email.

Can I collaborate with friends on the homework?

See grading policy.

What is the final grade distribution likely to be?

See grading policy.

What if I'm sick or miss a quiz for some other reason?

See grading policy.

Personal tools